Wednesday, December 10, 2014

MTC - Week 1

9 Dec 2014

Hello friends and family!

I am finally here at the MTC! It has been the craziest, busiest, most spiritual weeks of my life, and I am absolutely LOVING it here!! The teachers are great, the food is a lot better than I expected, and the weather here has been beautiful! It's the middle of December in Provo, Utah, and acts like it's spring time. No complaints here. I LOVE our district, I LOVE my roommates, and I LOVE my companion! Our district is so funny! We work really hard, but in our very little spare time, we tell stories, and are always laughing! My companion's name is Sister T--- L--- She's very quiet and soft-spoken, but we work as a great team. She's also super cute; she looks like Pepper Potts from Iron man!


On my way to Salt Lake City, I was able to share the gospel with this guy, J---. He works for BYU, but doesn't know much about our religion. He says he loves that we have Family Home Evening, and plans to do that when his kids get a little bit older. How cool is that!

Aunt Julie and Uncle Allan were kind enough to pick me up from the airport, and show me around Temple Square. It was so beautiful because the whole city was just covered in lights. We went and toured the Joseph Smith Memorial, and we were just walking around, looking at all of the paintings, when suddenly, Uncle Allan says, "Hey, President Uchtdorf, she's going to the MTC tomorrow!"

I looked up, and there standing right in front of me was President Dieter F. Uchtdorf. I just looked at him with wide eyes, wondering the whole time if it was actually him.

"How wonderful!" he said smiling at me, as he shook my hand. "Where are you going?"

"Redlands, California," I responded, still thinking it was all just a dream.

His cute wife was with him too. After he let go of my hand, his wife came in for a big hug! Aww, what a cute couple they are.

Hey, I know you! (Elder Sweet from EFY)


Many of you may not know this, but I reported to the MTC on my sister, Sarah's 18th birthday. I didn't get to see her on her birthday, so HAPPY 18th BIRTHDAY, SA-RAH!!! :)

On the first morning we woke up, our alarm started going off.

"Good morning, sisters! It's time to get up!" Sister B--- said, while brushing her teeth.

"Ugh, what time is it? I feel like I just fell asleep."

It was 12 a.m. We always make fun of her now. Haha!

I got my letter and package!! WOOHOO! Thank you, Mom! A missionary's most favorite thing in the world...besides helping others come unto Christ.

I've been playing a lot of four square at the gym. It's like the best "sport" I'm good at. Boo, no ping-pong. Usually, I'm the only sister playing, but it's all good because the Elders think I'm super cool or something like that. Yesterday, I almost got hit in the face 6 times, but I didn't get hit because I had a bunch of Elders to save me, and because of my fast ninja-like reflexes, and because I'm a missionary. The Lord protects His missionaries.


We got to go to the temple this morning. When we got there, I couldn't find my temple recommend anywhere! I think they called Bishop Dahl though, so it was all good. After we got back to our room, I looked in my wallet for our key. I found the key...and my temple recommend. Whaaat?!?! I looked in there like five times! Oh well, I still got to go, and I had a much deeper appreciation for the temple, than the first time I went through. I love the temple!

I am just sooo happy to be out here! I'm working hard, learning so much, and making lots of friends. I miss you all and home so much, but right now, there is no place I'd rather be.

Love and miss you all,
Sister Emily Sommers

2 comments:

  1. Emily, it sounds like everything is off to a super start; I am seriously jealous that you got to meet the hottie apostle. Enjoy your time at The House of the Holy Ghost. I expect that California is in great need of ninja missionaries, so it's nice to hear that you've got that covered. We're praying for you (and your mama) every day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you get lots of packages and letters. I bet Elder and sister Uchtdorf were talking about that Sister Missionary at the dinner table...how awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. Sis. Sommers would LOVE to hear from YOU.