Wednesday, January 14, 2015

I Love to See the Temple

Hey there family and friends!                                                                                          1/12/2015

What an eventful week it's been! So eventful, I'm not even sure where to start.

Early Birthday
I guess I'll start with...mark your calendars for the 25th cuz it's my birthday! Yay birthdays! Age is top secret though.

I went to my first zone meeting last week. We set goals for 2015, and talked about how to get more investigators and baptize more people this year. I guess it was a very effective meeting because we've been doing awesome at asking for referrals! We used to be horrible at that. Because we've been asking 100% referrals, the Lord has blessed us with more referrals than we can even keep track of.

We got to go to the Redlands Temple last week! Woohoo! I love the temple! :) When I entered the Celestial room, I started praying for blessings that I needed as a missionary. One of the things was to have a closer relationship with our bishop. Bishop J--- is awesome, but he's super busy all the time, so it's kind of hard to work with him. After I ended my prayer, I heard something. No, like I literally heard something! I looked behind me, but there was nothing there. I had heard stories about things like this, but I never actually thought it would happen to me! Unfortunately, what I was actually hearing was some Hispanic ladies talking on the other side of the room. The ceiling is in the form of a dome, so everything that they were saying sounded like they were talking in a microphone. Aww, dangit! That's okay, though. It was still awesome going through the temple. AND on the way home, Sister P--- started waving at the car driving beside us. It was bishop. The Lord really does answer prayers!

Also on our way home from the temple, we decided to go to Chipotle. We got our food, said a quick prayer over it, and started eating. Then, on her way out the door, this lady stopped by at our table and sweetly said, "It's nice to see young folks like yourself pray over your food."
And then she left. WAIT NO COME BACK! Aww, we missed her! But what a cute lady!

We had exchanges this week. I was blessed to be with Sister S---! She was one of my roommates at the MTC. :) But that day, was not her day at all. Before 1:30pm, she had already broken a glass plate, broke the handle off her bag, and spilled water all over the car. She's a trooper though; she just laughed it off. I just love her!

Also on exchanges, I met this investigator, J---. J--- is a pilot, and he has so many awesome plane stories to tell. I think he and Pres. Uchtdorf would get along pretty well. His recent story was that he was researching all of these plane crashes, and decided he was going to try to find one of them that crashed somewhere in Texas. After days of searching, he and his fiance, C--- found this plane which crashed in 1933 that would transport letters. This 1930 mail plane is now in his front yard, secured by a wooden box. He is planning to restore it this year!

While we were on exchanges, poor Sister P--- got food poisoning from the salmon we had that night. Yuck, I don't even like salmon, but I've had it twice on my mission. I don't think it would be as bad if they just took the fish skin off! Ugh, it freaks me out! What a blessing it is to have worthy priesthood next door. She felt a lot better after she got a blessing.

Last Thursday, we must have been doing something right because from the time we left our apartment to when we got to the Palm Desert church, we hit 18 green lights! We didn't even stop once the whole way!

One of our investigator's sons informed me he wanted to be just like me and go on a mission. He's seven-years-old and thinks I'm an agent from Mission Impossible. I am okay with this!

We finally got our Christmas tree out of the house. I kind of liked it though, it reminded me of home. Plus, it was the very first real Christmas tree I've ever had! That was exciting for me.

People are so funny when they feed us. They always seem to have mixed vegetables on the table, so I always have to ask if there are peas inside because I'm allergic. Every time it's, "Oh, you're allergic to peas? Good thing I didn't put any in there because I was thinking about it."

It's kind of weird being the minority here in southern California. I feel like one of the marshmallows in a huge cup of hot chocolate. That's okay, hot chocolate is more nice and open than the rich and annoying marshmallows.
La Quinta sunset
Even though we live in the Desert, La Quinta is one of the most gorgeous places to be! The horizons and sunsets are breathtaking, there are palm trees everywhere, the grass is so unimaginatively green, and there are flowers everywhere! Also, it rained yesterday! Southern California could definitely use some of that.

This week, my testimony on the priesthood has drastically increased. I am so grateful for the priesthood we have here on the earth! Without it, the gospel of Jesus Christ would not have been restored.

Hope all is well with all of you beautiful people! You're in my thoughts and prayers! Have a blessed week.

Sister Sommers

2 comments:

  1. It's really great that you have a temple in your mission and can enjoy that added dose of the Spirit. Good to know about the domed ceiling. I'm going to have to be more careful about my surroundings when I'm whispering secrets. ;) Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you!
    I love your posts!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. Sis. Sommers would LOVE to hear from YOU.