Wednesday, January 20, 2016

I Will Boast of My God

Hey everyone!

Happy MLK Day! I just love that man. God is the artist of diversity, but we are all equal in His eyes.

Sister A--- had her birthday this week! She turned 85-years old! 85 and still hauling wood into the house, and still driving her tractor around. She's a total beast.

Last spring, Sister P--- and I encountered a guy on campus who all he wanted to do was bash on us. Just last Thursday, Sister B--- and I were in Wendy's, making birthday cards, (and I guess I have to admit we were eating too) when all of a sudden, the same guy walks in. He ordered his food and sat RIGHT next to us. We kept glancing at him, wondering if we should say anything. 

Sister B--- then turns to him and asks, "Hey, don't you set up a booth on campus?" I expected the worst. And well...we sure did get a piece of his mind. I don't think he was trying to be mean, but it was pretty rude. He basically told us we were going to hell because we believed in a "false Christ", Joseph Smith was an "antichrist", and the Book of Mormon was "deceiving" us. Clearly, he was concerned for our salvation. He would ramble with what seemed like no breaths in between. I just stared at him while my legs shook uncontrollably. 

I was praying the whole time that I would be able to somehow love this man, but also defend my beliefs. After about an eternity of half-listening to his preaching, I wasn't about to argue; I just simply testified that I knew that Joseph Smith was a true prophet who was called of God, that the Book of Mormon was true and has immensely blessed my life, and that I know that our Savior lives. He stared at me for a few quiet seconds, then stuttered over his argumentative comment. 

After about an hour, I was wondering if we were ever going to make it to just a nice, pleasant conversation. So I asked him about his family, work, and his hobbies. He later asked what iexactly we did as missionaries. He then asked how much we got paid for doing this. We told him that we didn't get paid anything, other than blessings. We had to pay to come here (with some helps from friends and family :)) Once he realized we didn't get paid, his expression changed dramatically. He became humbled.

I think Ammon said it best when he said, "Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever."

Well, there was a bajillion other things I wanted to share, but I'm running out of time.

Have a glorious week!

Sister Sommers

1 comment:

  1. You are a great missionary. It can be hard sometimes to testify without defending or arguing. Nice work! Have a super week. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. Sis. Sommers would LOVE to hear from YOU.