Saturday, March 5, 2016

Be Still My Soul

Hello friends and family,

I'm not gonna lie, this week has certainly been bitter-sweet.

For the past few months, my pap (grandpa), Delmar Fletcher Walker, has been suffering with leukemia. Just yesterday, I received a phone call from President and Sister Van Cott, saying that he had just passed away that morning. It broke my heart. It still hurts to think about it, but I'm at peace with it. He no longer has to deal with the sickness and pain. I'm grateful I didn't have to see him while he was so sick; I feel like it would've been harder for me to deal with. I know Heavenly Father is going to take great care of him. It's comforting to know that this is not the end. Our life on earth is just a small portion of the rest of our eternal lives. I know that I will see him again. It's one thing to teach the Plan of Salvation, and another to actually experience it on your mission. It may be sad at first, but eternally, it is a beautiful plan that Heavenly Father has for all of us. 

Pap loved to hunt, fish, work on word-searches, make things in his workshop, and eat ice-cream. Lots of ice-cream. I guess I get that from him. :) And you always saw a Pepsi in his hand. That's a total Walker thing to do. You would see any of them walking around with a Pepsi. Pap loved western movies and laughed out loud in almost everything he saw. My favorite memory with him is when he took us all target shooting. He turned me into a pro. 

Pap was honestly probably one of the most stubborn people I've ever met. He never liked to be wrong. Sometimes, it was quite humorous. I will never forget the time when he spotted a shoe in the middle of the floor and exclaimed, "Who put this foot...WEAR in the middle of the floor?!" HAHAHA! :) 

Even through his stubborn ways, he was faithful and honest, and supported and loved his family unconditionally. He was one of the hardest workers I've ever known and he cared for others. 

For a while, he worked and served as a fireman and saved many lives. While Sister R--- and I were standing in line at the store, I thought I heard talking from a radio behind me. I got all choked up as I turned to see a man standing there in his fire jacket. 

Most importantly, Pap loved the Lord with all of his heart. Even though he practiced in a different Christian Faith, I know Heavenly Father has a special place in Heaven for him, and that he will be rewarded greatly for his amazing faith.

I love you, Pap! I will see you soon. 

We're having temple trips this week. I was originally going to the temple on Thursday, but since I won't be able to attend the funeral, President said if I wanted, I could go to the temple during the time of the funeral. The funeral should be starting by the time I enter the celestial room. 

This week, we got to see the Van Cotts a lot. They trained our Multi-zone Meeting and they both gave talks in the Desert Hot Springs Ward! That was awesome. They talked a lot about obedience, and the blessings we are promised when we are obedient to His commandments. President's so funny. While he was speaking, he said, "Sister Sommers was sad to leave this Ward, but she's happy to be back." After sacrament meeting, President turns to me and says, "Wait, you are happy to be back, right?" "Haha! Yes, President, very happy." :)

Dearest family, I am praying for you. And I hope all of you have a blessed week.

Sister Emi-lee Emi-lie (Pap's nickname for me) :)

We Love You, Pap


1 comment:

  1. I am trying again Emily to write to you - if this goes through I will write a letter to you tomorrow. So far this site won't take my comments. Love Sister Lipton

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. Sis. Sommers would LOVE to hear from YOU.