Wednesday, August 5, 2015

I Know Who I Am, I Know God's Plan, I'll Follow Him in Faith

Hello out there!

This week was interesting...

Saturday, our investigator, J---, invited us to a Catholic mass. I was pretty excited to go, considering I had never been to one. Some of the people were super nice and inviting, but I didn't feel the most comfortable. It was interesting...and that's all I have to say about that.

Our recent convert's neighbor tried giving her some anti last week. "I've only been a member for two months, and I already know this is junk!" hehe :)

Tuesday, we tried visiting an inactive member. Found out he's an anti-Christ. All you can really do is testify of what you know to be true...until they cut you off, and pray hard for a softened heart.

 And so it begins...
As you can see, our week has been filled with anti's and apostates. It's okay though, it has not weakened my testimony. In fact, my testimony has grown so much! I realize that if they don't have a change of heart, they can't have the happiness that I have. They can't experience that pure love and eternal joy!

We had been waiting for a miracle all week, and it finally happened on Sunday. A member's inactive son, who she had been praying for everyday, came to church and bore his testimony. He said he had been inactive for a while, and his life had kind of gone down the drain, so he thought it would be a good idea to come back to church. The whole congregation was SOBBING. They knew how much it meant to his mom, and to Heavenly Father.  

It's sad, but sometimes we have to go through devastation to remember our Heavenly Father. We go through trials and we make mistakes; that's why we had a Savior come to this earth and take away all of those pains and mistakes from us so we could live with Him and our Heavenly Father again. He paid the price, but we need to keep His commandments. You are never alone through your trials; Christ knows exactly what you're going through because He has experienced it. We need to turn to Him so he can help us and make our burdens become light.

"...God cares a lot more about who we are and who we are becoming than about who we once were.4 He cares that we keep on trying.
The comedy As You Like It, written by the English playwright William Shakespeare, depicts a dramatic change in a character’s life. An older brother attempts to have his younger brother killed. Even knowing this, the younger brother saves his wicked brother from certain death. When the older brother learns of this undeserved compassion, he is totally and forever changed and has what he calls a “conversion.” Later several women approach the older brother and ask, “Was’t you that did so oft contrive to kill [your brother]?”
The older brother answers, “’Twas I; but ’tis not I: I do not shame to tell you what I was, since my conversion so sweetly tastes, being the thing I am.”5
For us, because of God’s mercy and the Atonement ofJesus Christ, such a change is not just literary fiction.
In His mercy, God promises forgiveness when we repent and turn from wickedness—so much so that our sins will not even be mentioned to us. For us, because of the Atonement of Christ and our repentance, we can look at our past deeds and say, “’Twas I; but ’tis not I.” No matter how wicked, we can say, “That’s who I was. But that past wicked self is no longer who I am.”7 - Elder Dale G. Renlund
I am so happy and so blessed to be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints!
Sister Sommers 

1 comment:

  1. I love that song, and I catch Ellie singing it often. I'm glad that you know who you are. It's rough some times when you encounter people with harsh voices against God or the church. Stay strong. And stay cool, too. 118 is WAY too hot!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. Sis. Sommers would LOVE to hear from YOU.