Thursday, January 7, 2016

Dancing With the Earth

Hello out there!

Boy, was this week filled with all sorts of excitement! Let me tell you!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! WOOHOO 2016!

The other day, we were at our Bishop's house, and we met his quite flirtatious 9-year-old nephew with some of the best pickup lines he was using on us. "Are you a racer? 'Cause you've been running through my mind all day." Or "Have you ever been to Tennessee? 'Cause you're the only ten-I-see." That kid will have you going for days! "Yeah, I had a girl once upon a time. And she was CRAZY! Get me this, buy me that. GET ME OUTTA HERE!"

HAHAHAHAHA! At least he's a little prepared for what's coming. :)


Tuesday, we were at the house, just finishing dinner, when all of a sudden, a huge giant outside picked up the house and began to shake it. Or so it was in my imagination, for a split second, before I realized what was really going on. My companion and I stared at each other, while she grabbed my hand. "IT'S AN EARTHQUAKE!" Things fell off the walls and off the shelves. We were a bit shaken up for a while. It seemed as though all of Southern California called us to make sure we were ok, afterwards. We later found out it was a 4.4 earthquake, and we were just three miles from the epicenter. A lot of people that had called us (mostly elderly people) said they had lived here their whole lives and never experienced an earthquake that dramatic. Don't think I would ever wanna do it again, but it was an adventure alright!

My companion explains that day pretty well in her epistle:

1 And behold it came to pass that on the second day of the week in the fourth week of the month in the twelfth month of the year in the year of two thousand and fifteen, while two missionaries were thus in the act of preparing for the week that was to come, behold the earth did begin to shake with great force. Yea, insomuch that the two missionaries that dwelt among those people living in the land of Devore did fear exceedingly for their lives. 

2 For behold the shaking did shake their house even so much as to make the more part of the things on the walls fall from their original places. And the shaking did continue as if to tear down every part of the house of which these two missionaries were in. And it came to pass that they did still fear. Yea, even more so than they had when the shaking had begun. 

3 But behold, they did not think to call upon the lord their God until the shaking had ceased. 
But behold, when the shaking did cease, their hearts were immediately turned to their God. And they did repent speedily of all their wrong doings and did pray fervently for fear that the shaking might return. 

4 And behold they did also rejoice greatly that the shaking had ceased. And what added more to their joy was that they were also safe and that their lives had been spared by the tender mercy and greatness of their God. 

5 And it came to pass that while they were in the act of sincere prayer and repentance, behold the spirit of the Lord came upon them and they were comforted immensely. 
Yea even so much that as the aftershocks commenced and continued on through the night and even into the next day, behold, they were comforted.

That afternoon, we were getting Subway, and a member just so happened to be there and paid for our food! Again! We should go there more often. :) Then on Thursday, while we were weekly planning, we fast-food-hopped around to four different places because they don't like you being in there for over an hour. When we got to McDonalds, the girl taking our order was a member and paid for our food, and when we went to Denny's, the lady taking our order said, "Sisters, I have wonderful news! I'm a member, so I was going to pay for your food, but this gentlemen over here is also a member, and insisted that he pay the bill!" We could not believe it. We were so blessed that week! Being in a YSA Ward has really taught me how to dislike fast food, but now I'm not so sure anymore... I know what you're all thinking, "Wow, Sister Sommers, you're gonna get fat and die of a heart attack at an early age." Calm down, if it's my decision, I hardly ever eat out. So there. Plus, we weren't feeling so hot by the end of the day, so we'll probably never do that again. 

For New Year's Eve and New Year's Day, President let us stay in the whole time so we could read the Book of Mormon cover to cover. I didn't quite make it through the whole thing, (I still had Mosiah and Alma) but I did finish it from where I was originally. That was a total of 17 hours of reading! Whew! But it was awesome. I have gained new knowledge, and a greater testimony of the Book of Mormon. I have really come to truly love it.


Yesterday, we taught Priesthood. Haha, I know, right? The Elder's Quorum President wanted us to train all the guys on how to hand out copies of The Book of Mormon. It was a pretty bomb-awesome lesson, for only knowing an hour in advance. We weren't exactly sure how well they were going to participate, but all of them were trying to be involved. We even got a few of them to do some role plays! Awesome.

Last night I went to bed and woke up so sick with this nasty cold. NOOOO! D: I've been doing so well my whole mission to avoid it! But now it's here. Sister B--- and Sister A--- have been taking care of me by giving me all sorts of oils to put on my feet, my nose, and to inhale. Don't worry, they're not drugs. (I know you were thinking that.) This morning, I thought my brain was going to ooze out of my ears and nose. Sorry. Too graphic? But I'm feeling much better now.

Transfers are this week. Ahh, yes, the "T" word that we all love. Just kidding, no one really likes transfers. A couple transfers ago, President actually told me what the rest of my mission was basically going to look like. He said I would stay here in the YSA Ward to train Sister Bates for a transfer, then he's going to send me off to a family ward and leave me there for the rest of my mission! Sometimes it's just better when you can actually know what the heck is going on. But who knows, he's always changing his mind about stuff, but only because it's inspired. He actually said I could request an area to be in. Doesn't mean it's actually going to happen, but it gives him a good idea where he wants to put me. So I expressed my love for La Quinta. :) I HAVE been known to go back to old areas. We will find out tonight, so I'll update you next week.

Later, skaters!

Sister Sommers

1 comment:

  1. Happy New Year! That was an awesome epistle your companion wrote. :) Why did you eat out 4 times in one day?

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. Sis. Sommers would LOVE to hear from YOU.